This page is a supplementary page of the opening page. Click the button to get back.

Get back to the opening page.


What ways are there to charge a battery and what are the differences between them?

There are currently two common ways of charging an electric vehicle: one via a rapid charging point, the other via a standard household power socket. Rapid charging points can be found in places such as shopping centres, and are being extended to petrol stations and locations in cities. The advantage of these points is that they draw on a higher charging current than the power available at home. The difference is due to the size of the fuse.

Is it difficult to charge electric cars?

In general, charging a ŠKODA EV is fairly easy and there are several possibilities of where and how you can charge it. One of them is to use official ŠKODA wallbox - ŠKODA iV Charger.

How does the charging work?

There are two ways of charging, either by alternating current (AC) or direct current (DC). Charging by AC is not as fast as charging by DC. For example, AC is present in the home network when charging from 230V or 400V outlets. The electric car needs to change this AC current to DC, so charging may take longer. In the case of charging from a three-phase socket (such as in most family houses, for example, for a mixer or circular saw), charging is faster due to the possibility of a greater flow of energy, but still changes from AC to DC. Therefore, it is best to charge from a socket adapted for charging electric vehicles. Charging is a non-linear process. In most cases, the DC charger will charge up to 80% of the battery capacity in less than an hour. The remaining 20% of capacity is proportional to approximately the same time as the first 80%.

How does vehicle charging work, step by step?

1. To recharge, you need to have a card or a chip to unlock the charging station. You get the card or chip based on a contract with an energy supplier.
2. Select the appropriate socket according to the navigation on the charger display.
3. Plug the cable into the chosen socket.
4. Charging starts automatically when the cable is connected correctly. Charging time depends on the type of charging station and the capacity you need to charge.
5. After the charging starts, you log out and the socket is locked against disconnecting the cable while charging.
6. After charging is completed, you log in, unplug the cable and you can continue driving.

What's the time to fully charge my EV?

Generally the DC charger will charge up to 80% of the battery capacity in less than an hour. The remaining 20% of capacity is proportional to approximately the same time as the first 80%. If you’re not able to access a fast charger, it will take longer to fully charge the car, depending on the battery and the model.

Where can I charge my EV?

You can either charge it at home or at one of the public charging stations around. If you’d like to charge your new car at home, you should think of installing a ŠKODA iV Charger. If you’d like to charge in public you can find stations with the help of our ŠKODA Connect App.

Can ŠKODA AUTO help me get a charger for my car?

Our authorized dealers will prepare an offer for complete provision of eMobility tailored to your needs. Everything will depend on the selected model, location, type of dwelling, etc. They will recommend a suitable ŠKODA iV Charger or some of our charging cables. For adjusting the distribution rate, including increased power you will contact your electricity provider.

Can ŠKODA AUTO help me get a charger for my car?

Our authorized dealers will prepare an offer for complete provision of eMobility tailored to your needs. Everything will depend on the selected model, location, type of dwelling, etc. They will recommend a suitable ŠKODA iV Charger or some of our charging cables. For adjusting the distribution rate, including increased power you will contact your electricity provider.

What is Wallbox?

We use the term Wallbox to refer to the wall-mounted charging point for electric vehicles. Wallbox refers to the physical system that provides electrical power to the vehicle plugged in by a cable. This device, powered by alternating current. ŠKODA iV Charger, official wallbox from ŠKODA AUTO, will be offer in three equipment level from your official ŠKODA dealer.

For whom is the ŠKODA iV Charger intended?

Our ŠKODA iV Charger is specifically developed for customers who want to install a fast and smart charging station at their home. Our dealership employees will inform and advise which ŠKODA iV Charger suits best with your desired car and needs.

How do I install a ŠKODA iV Charger?

Most important: installing a ŠKODA iV Charger is not a Do-It-Yourself job. Once you've decided to install a ŠKODA iV Charger at your home, our qualified dealers will support in connecting you to an approved electrician who will help installing it.

What is eCheck?

Installation Service for customers which consists of 4 main parts:
• Pre check: Online questionnaire for getting the first info about customers home grid connection. Webpage planned to be located on the ŠKODA eMobility HUB and on the Elli webshop
• Home check: Physical check by local electrician provided by ISP
• Installation: Installation of the wallbox
• Customer care

What are the costs of a ŠKODA iV Charger?

That pretty much depends on the type of ŠKODA iV Charger that you'd like to purchase. Our local dealers are more than happy to consult you with that decision and make you an appropriate offer.

Are there any risks when installing a ŠKODA iV Charger?

The main risks occur when people try to install their ŠKODA iV Charger by themselves. We highly recommend to always ask a qualified approved electrician to install the ŠKODA iV Charger. Other than that, you have to ensure that the electric power supply in your house is sufficient for the needed power – we are sure that can be better debated and evaluated with one of our helpful and experienced dealers.

Will the seller advise me on how to arrange an increase in the power on my switchboard at the house or advice other tariff rate, or do I have to find out everything myself?

Our authorized dealers can tell you only general recommendation. Depends on the market dealers can offer to customer Home Check in which certified electrician will give you professional recommendation and help prepare documents for your electricity partner. After Home Check you can contact your electricity provider yourself.

Can I buy an electric car when I live in a block of flats – and I park on the street in a housing estate?

Yes. It is not necessary to own a house or garage to own an electric car. You can park your car where you need to. However, you have to recharge at public charging stations e.g. at work or when shopping. For example, you can recharge the CITIGOᵉ iV on a DC charging station to a capacity that will be enough to power commuting for a whole week.

What options do I have to charge at home?

ŠKODA will offer following charging products:

• ŠKODA iV Charger, ŠKODA iV Charger Connect and ŠKODA iV Charger Connect+ available in Q2 2020.
• Mode 2 cables
• Clever cable (charging from Home socket and Industry socket) from Q4/2020
• Webasto Pure wallbox


What is the difference between ULK cable ("Clever Cable") and 11kW wallbox?

"Clever cable“ is standard charging cable, which allows user to charge from standard or industry socket. Wallbox is wall mounted device to provide comfort and safety while charging and advanced smart functions (in Smart wallbox).

What is smart charging?

Smart charging generally is used as an umbrella term. It comprises all intelligent functions of charging stations that optimize the charging infrastructure by balancing the energy usage between the charging stations and other appliances. Smart charging ensures the most efficient charging of EVs based on the available power capacity, saving costs of any grid updates. Making it tangible in the world of ŠKODA: the ŠKODA iV Charger can be connected to the ŠKODA Connect App.

Can I use any charger in the city?

A wide network of charging stations throughout the whole Europe can be used to charge electric vehicles. ŠKODA AUTO is developing a unique system (card) with which you can charge your car within a network of charging stations throughout the EU. Even for recharging, we are preparing interesting offers for you together with our partners, which we will introduce together along with our models.

Does ŠKODA AUTO offer public charging solution for iV?

At the moment, we are intensively working on a solution that will provide you with an access to a dense network of public charging points throughout 30 countries across Europe. We will reveal more details soon. However, we can already say that we will offer the best combination of charging network coverage and user convenience.

Isn’t ŠKODA AUTO planning to have a unique charging connector for electric vehicles?

ŠKODA cars will have the same connector as most electric cars on the European market - Type 2 "Mennekes" for AC charging or Combo 2 for DC charging.

Will it be possible to charge faster?

The fastest charging is by using the direct current which the car needs. It does not have to convert AC to DC and charging is faster. The charging station network already has DC charging stations for fast charging.

When should I load with AC power, when with DC power?

ŠKODA offers the customer all charging options for optimum flexibility. We recommend installing a ŠKODA iV Charger at home to charge the vehicle regularly. For loading on the way to charging stations, the vehicle is provided with the appropriate AC cable as well as a charging cable for the usual sockets in households. Longer distances can be managed with a fast intermediate charge on DC charging stations.

Is it dangerous if the charging cable gets wet, the vehicle is in a puddle or it is raining?

No. The charging process is at the CITIGOᵉ iV fully secured. There is no danger to persons at any time. Both the car and the charger itself have several levels of protection for these cases. For example, the current doesn’t run until it’s securely plugged into the socket and both car and charger aren’t sure that everything’s ready.

Can I charge an electric car in the rain?

Yes, you can even charge your electric car in the rain with no fear of electric shock or damage to the car.

What happens if I forget to unplug the plug from the charging station and start driving?

The engine can only be started when the charging cable is removed.

Does anyone need to remove the plug immediately after charging when the battery is charged?

No, the charger in the vehicle switches itself off at the end of the charging process.

Can I stop charging even if the battery is not charged yet? Is that harmful to the battery?

Yes, you can interrupt the charging process; the battery will not be damaged. Charging is interrupted when you unlock the vehicle. Optionally, you can stop the loading process via the ŠKODA Connect App.

Does the battery get any damage if charged every day or charged too long?

No, daily loading is no problem. Charging will be completed automatically when the battery is charged.

Does it damage the battery if you do not always drive it empty?

No, the battery does not have to be empty to recharge it.

Do I always have to charge the battery 100 percent?

No, this is not necessary. The battery has only a minimal memory effect over their duration, so that this is not noticeable in a non-complete charge.

Does it harm if you regularly charge the battery with DC power via CCS?

No, with DC charging, the battery is only 80% charged in about 60 minutes. For the remaining 20%, the charging power is lowered continuously to save the battery.

How long can the vehicle be parked without the battery discharging when there is no charging opportunity nearby?

It depends on the outside temperature and the battery condition when parking. When it is full and the outside temperature is low, the car may stop for a few months.

When is the best time to charge an EV?

We wouldn't say there is the best time to charge an EV, though, most people prefer to charge over night to have a fully charged vehicle available in the mornings. Of course depending on the charging point, it can take from one hour up to an entire day to fully charge, which is why you should consider such influences when deciding when is best to charge the EV.

Is it possible to charge by induction?

Yes, in some countries and for some car brands there is already the possibility of charging over the induction coil, but we do not offer this option for our cars yet. However, we are considering offering this form of charging in the future.

What if my EV runs out of battery?

To be honest, we really doubt that this will ever happen to you. Our vehicles will always inform you precociously about the charging status and with our ŠKODA Connect App you will be able to check your charging status anywhere at anytime.

We will also be prepared for this scenario and we will offer you mobility solutions either within the framework of the assistance service or within other associated eMobility services.

What will a completely flat battery do with the car while driving?

The vehicle keeps you informed about the current battery capacity as a classic vehicle does with the fuel level in the tank. Using the recuperation, you partially charge the battery continuously. If you do not reflect on several warning levels when the battery is running low and the vehicle is discharged, the vehicle will stop as if the internal combustion engine had stopped. Unlike the internal combustion engine, however, it does not ventilate, so it is enough to charge it again without any service intervention.

Is there a service that would come to recharge me? Like a cable start?

Yes, there are already several independent providers of this service, for example E-Mona, and this offer will develop more in the market. Right now, our customers have the possibility to have the vehicle towed to the nearest partner, where the car can be recharged, or to the nearest charging station. The best option for you is always chosen. However, we are also working on our own or our partner solutions, which we will offer through our service network or through our assistance partners.